This is a featured article. High school history book pdf here for more information.
An entrance examination was mandated for all applicants starting in 1934, and the school started accepting female students in 1969. Stuyvesant moved to its current location at Battery Park City in 1992 because the school had become too large. The old building now houses several high schools. Each November, about 30,000 eighth- and ninth-grade students take the three-hour test for admittance to eight of the nine specialized high schools. Approximately 900 to 950 applicants are accepted to Stuyvesant each year. New York City in 1887. Brooklyn, which opened in 1893.
By 1899, Maxwell was advocating for a manual trade school in Manhattan. The Board of Education approved the plans in April 1904. They suggested that the school occupy a plot on East 15th Street, west of First Avenue, but that plot did not yet contain a school building, and so the new trade school was initially housed within P. The Board of Education also wrote that the new trade school would be “designated as the Stuyvesant High School, as being reminiscent of the locality. Stuyvesant High School opened in September 1904 as Manhattan’s first manual trade school for boys. At the time of its opening, the school consisted of 155 students and 12 teachers. In August 1904, the Board of Education authorized Snyder to design a new facility for Stuyvesant High School at 15th Street.
The new school would be shaped like the letter “H” in order to maximize the number of windows on the building. The cornerstone for the new building was laid in September 1905. 600,000 for the exterior alone. In 1907, Stuyvesant moved to the new building on 15th Street. The new building had a capacity of 2,600 students, more than double that of the existing school building at 23rd Street.
53 regular classrooms and a 1,600-seat auditorium. A grayscale postcard showing the Old Stuyvesant Campus in Manhattan’s East Village. The postcard’s vantage point is from down the street from the old building, and depicts the five-story stone facade of the building. However, in June 1908, Maxwell announced that the trade school curriculum would be separated from the core curriculum, and a discrete trade school would operate in the Stuyvesant building during the evening. Thereafter, Stuyvesant became renowned for excellence in math and science. By 1919, officials started restricting admission based on scholastic achievement. Stuyvesant implemented a double session plan in 1919 to accommodate the rising number of students: some students would attend in the morning, while others would take classes in the afternoon and early evening.
All students studied a full set of courses. These double sessions ran until 1956. The school implemented a system of entrance examinations in 1934. 2 million renovation to update its classrooms, shops, libraries, and cafeterias. A low-power test of the device succeeded six years later. A later attempt at full-power operation, however, knocked out the power to the school and surrounding buildings.
In 1967, a female student filed a lawsuit against the Board of Education, alleging that she had been banned from taking Stuyvesant’s entrance exam because of her gender. The lawsuit was decided in the student’s favor, and Stuyvesant was required to accept female students. The first female students were accepted in September 1969, when Stuyvesant offered admission to 14 girls and enrolled 12 of them. The next year, 223 female students were accepted to Stuyvesant. The act called for a uniform exam to be administered for admission to Brooklyn Tech, Bronx Science, and Stuyvesant. A close-up color view of the facade of the Old Stuyvesant Campus in 2010. There have been few modifications to the facade compared to the 1909 postcard view.